These senior girls and and I became very close after four years together, and their senior year we produced this lip dub of Alvaro Soler’s ‘El Mismo Sol’.
- We completed a March Madness bracket to select the song.
- I created a Google Document so that we could collaborate. It looked kind of like the document below.
- Students selected their lyrics, moves, and props.
- We asked the bus barn to leave us a bus for 2 block periods.
- I filmed, edited the footage using Final Cut Pro, and we shared the video for the school during lunches in the commons on the big screen.
- The girls were super proud, and we have a fun memory of our time together that will last a lifetime!
Are you looking for new ideas to use your target language music, besides our classic Cloze?
- Retell the events in the song via running dictation
- Create a March Madness bracket
- Provide musical accompaniment with culturally connected instruments
- Find the mistakes in the song that don’t match the printed lyrics
- Order events using a cut-up comic strip
- Teacher facilitates PQA with the song
- Print, cut, and mix up the lyrics for ordering
- Retell the song with a skit
- Break up the sentences to analyze
- Rap it
- Write poetry using the connected themes
- Film a lip dub
- Recreate the song or album artwork
- Create a book from the song for your FVR library
- Play 2 Truths & 1 Lie to prove comprehension
- Investigate the artists and musicians
- Create some choreography or a class dance
- Write the next verse or rewrite the lyrics
- Sing along
- Prepare a MovieTalk with the music video
- Use a song to create a vocabulary list
- Role playing
- Use it as the background song for musical chairs
- Use the song on the runway for a school fashion show
- Perform karaoke
- Use the artist and the music to connect to a cultural theme
- Tweet the artist
- Film the music video
- Guess the secret title
- Classic gap-fill/Cloze
- Express how the music makes us feel using abstract art
- Direct translation
I know this was just for fun but have you attempted it as a class project?
Im trying to come up with a end of course project and thought this would be a great idea!
Unfortunately I couldn’t figure out how to use it as a way to assess what they had learned, so it was just a fun activity to celebrate the end of the year. Let me know if you plan something!
[…] Film a lip dub […]
Hey Sarah!! Feliz año! y gracias por tus videos y actividades. Estoy planeando hacer un video ( lip dub) pero quisiera hacerte algunas preguntas. Me podrías dar tu email por favor? si no es mucho pedir…
Hola! Qué divertido!
Podemos usar el correo de Twitter? No quiero escribir mi correo aquí para los bots, LOL!
Did you have to get special permission for copyright? I want to do this as well, but don’t want to put our school in a situation with copyright. As long as I don’t share on social media?
Hey! I got a Synch Form from BMG, and I think I paid bout $50 for it.